Monday, February 12, 2007

The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant

Reading this book makes me think of my childhood. I was the oldest of six children and like in the story, we had an old beat up station wagon. It was like a clown car wherever we went. When we would go on long trips to visit various relatives, we packed our soda, graham crackers, and yes, bologna sandwiches before we hit the road. When we arrived, there was the same hugging and laughing, eating in shifts, and pile-up of sleeping kids as in the book. How rich the memories are that this story brings back. Stephen Gammell's illustrations pull you right into the story: the car bumping along, the mailbox and fence obviously knocked over by the overzealous driver, food falling, bellies poking out of jammies, and always smiles and laughter so clear you can almost hear them. But my favorite page is after the relatives arrival. The illustrator creates a scene of joyful chaos with shoes falling off, bodies caught in motion, a puddle splashed in, and everyone hugging each other. You want to jump in and join the family! The text is marvelous as well. It feels like a child is relating the story of his spectacular summer vacation. The description of the trip from Virginia and the food the relatives bring is reminiscent of the days before McDonald's was on every corner. The excitement is palpable as you read about everyone eating, sleeping and breathing together. And every once in a while, the more thoughtful comments like, "It was different, going to sleep with all that new breathing in the house." and at the end, "...then we crawled back into our beds that felt too big and too quiet." I'm sure in a house full of eighteen or more people, we would recognize that something felt different, but would we realize that it was the breathing? or the empty space and the loud quiet after everyone had gone? I suppose most of us will never find out for sure, but if we listen carefully as we read, we just might find ourselves in the middle of a boisterous visit from the relatives.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I was transported back in time, too when my family used to make the yearly trek over the mountains of West Virginia (on the back roads!) to visit relatives in Indiana. I was delighted at the illustrations showing carefree abandon with the characters' smiles and play so much more essential than impressing each other with any kind of one-up-man-ship. I found myself wanting to jump into the picture and join in the hugging and in all the activites outside. This story is timeless and what a fabulous testimony of real down-home livin'!

Megan said...

I've never read this book, but I enjoyed your description of it! It sounds like you had a huge personal connection to the book. While my family didn't own a stationwagon, we used to take long trips to visit my family in North Carolina. There was so much hugging and eating when we finally got there, and it sounds a lot like the book and your experiences!

Kathy Kryscio said...

I am one of five children, so I, too, relate to the story The Relatives Came! I remember traveling in the mini van to PA, IL, VA to visit family. I remember arriving to quiet houses that suddenly were full of people thanks to our gang... air mattresses, sleeping bags, shared bathroom time, and eating on paper plates to avoid dishes. But, there is nothing like a big family's love, despite all the ruckus, is there? I enjoy reading this book each year to my students. Just as you and I were able to, I think most students are able to make text to self connections to The Relatives Came. I also use the book to inspire transition words and phrases in my student writings, for Rylant uses unique transitions in this book to move the text along.

Hillary said...

It's so interesting how your personal experiences can color your perception of a book. I come from a small family and everyone lives within 3 hours. I've heard so many people say that they loved this book, but I can't really relate. I never had long trips or 10+ people in the house. I find the book amusing but not memorable.

Piggy Monday A Tale About Manners written and illustrated by Suzanne Bloom

Suzanne Bloom is fabulous. My preschoolers are big fans of her Is This the Bus For Us, Gus?. My family just got Piggy Monday A Tale About Manners and we love it! When I first looked at the cover, I thought it would scare my chidlren, 4 and 6. That they would be afraid of turning into pigs themselves. Quite the contrary. The book begins with a class of children who are teasing, being rude, talking in class, etc. As their behavior deteriorates throughout the day, they begin growing pig snouts, hooves, and tails, until they are all little pigs. The Pig Lady comes to the rescue and reminds them of their manners. As they begin to use manners, their pig parts disappear and they become polite young children. By the end, they are all complementing each other, reminding each other of the proper way to say things and do things, and saying please and thank you. The illustrations are fabulous inspiring fits of laughter from my children as the students tear apart the classroom and acquire one pig part at a time. The story is in verse which always attracts the attention of young listeners and the dedication, "to that sparkling class who inspired this tale" was a great topic of conversation afterwards - "Did this really happen?" "Are there really kids who don't have any manners?" "Kids can't turn into pigs!" A few days after reading this book my children were arguing over some precious toy they both desperately needed at the same time and I looked in the doorway and said, "I see a pig tail ... and an ear!" My children stopped arguing immediately and started looking at each other for their pig parts. They rolled in a fit of laughter and actually apologized to each other without being told to!!!! It was terrific! Later that night my husband forgot to say please and my son was quick to say, "Be careful Daddy, you're going to get a pig tail." Humor is such a great way to remind children to make good choices, rather than getting angry or frustrated. The kids catch each other and because of the fabulous imagery from the illustrations, they can't help but laugh at the thought. I'm so glad I did not judge this book by its cover.