Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I read Bridge to Terabithia at least four times during my late elementary and early middle school years. I loved the book. Maybe because I had experienced a lot of loss in my life, maybe because I, like Leslie, moved from a place where I had a lot of friends to a place where I had only one, or maybe just because it's a great book. Whatever the reason, I received great comfort from the story and turned to it whenever my own outlook on life was looking bleak. Reading it now, twenty plus years later, I am struck by the things I didn't even notice when I was young. First, how mean the kids are! Is this one of the aspects of childhood that is universal: Kids of all ages since the beginning of time hurting, humiliating and tormenting each other? It concerns me as a teacher, but even more as a mother. Why is it that now we have our schools locked down, monitored for guns and other weapons, etc. What made kids of the last hundred plus years able to overcome this emotional abuse but not the kids of today? I've been thinking about this a lot in the past week. I can't help but wonder if a modern day Janice Avery would be suicidal or, worse, homicidal. Or if Jesse, always shouldering more than his share of the work around the house along with loads of teasing from his sisters, would have run away from home at sixteen and never looked back. Maybe. In my own experience, I only knew one person in my high school of 1,200 kids who ran away from home, and truth be told, he was kicked out by his alcoholic parents. We had no bomb threats, concerns about knives or guns (students and teachers alike carried jack-knives to school), or security guards. That was only fifteen years ago, but a far cry from today's schools. What is rather alarming to me is that nowhere in my memory of reading this book do I recall being surprised by the teasing and hurtful behavior. It suggests to me that I thought it was pretty typical stuff. Not bothersome, concerning, or even worthy of note. Ok. Moving on. The other thing I had almost no recollection of from my childhood readings of this book is the adventures in Terabithia itself. I remembered the grove of pine trees being sacred, but that's it. I was so caught up in the friendship between Jesse and Leslie, I never really thought about their adventures. My husband on the other hand, played Terabithia in the woods near his home. He and his friends would go out and fight giants to protect the kingdom. Yet, while I cry every time I read the book, he has never shed a tear over it. I wonder if this is a difference between males and females or if it's just that he was so much more creative than I was, and I so much more emotional. No matter what the answer, I think Bridge to Terabithia is one of the greatest stories ever written and I thoroughly enjoyed this blast from my past.

2 comments:

hjudson said...

I had many of the same reactions when I re-read Bridge to Terabithia. From an adult perspective, it is difficult not to dismiss the adolescent cruelty that drives Jess and Leslie to an imaginary world. I think many of us had negative experiences with peers growing up. When I read the story as a child, I was able to relate with the characters because of the social hardships they faced going to school each day. The antagonists in Bridge to Terabithia could have easily been some of the bullies I encountered as a child. Now that we are adults, we are removed from the adolescent realities and therefore, more shocked by the cruelty children have to succumb to in these impressionable years. I try to look at difficult situations in a positive light. Dealing with and overcoming situations makes us all stronger. I believe that Patterson was trying to convey this message in her story. This theme is universal and can apply to all generations.

Mooch said...

Folks - look deeper. It is the greatest story ever told - but there is a reason, which I hope you will like. I viewed Terabithia with my nine-year-old daughter last weekend. Decided to take her back and bring her friend, my nephew, and my 70-year-old mom for the second viewing. I’m considering going a third time next weekend with a larger crowd. Need I say more? I will. I’ve never read the book, so don't flog me for what I have pulled from the screen version, but I now intend to have it on my daughter’s shelf. The rip-off, if there is one, is the promise of a real life story in The Chronicles of Narnia – which is fundamentally a work of fiction to preach Christianity to the uninitiated. Terabithia starts with something real and tells a story worth telling – with the Christian message subtly woven into the fabric. Perhaps C.S. Lewis should have spent less time in the Pub and more time with children before he spun his yarn. Terabithia is the Salvation of which C.S. Lewis must have been dreaming for Narnia. Paterson got it right – if she didn’t then the director’s follow through did. Magnificent.

Piggy Monday A Tale About Manners written and illustrated by Suzanne Bloom

Suzanne Bloom is fabulous. My preschoolers are big fans of her Is This the Bus For Us, Gus?. My family just got Piggy Monday A Tale About Manners and we love it! When I first looked at the cover, I thought it would scare my chidlren, 4 and 6. That they would be afraid of turning into pigs themselves. Quite the contrary. The book begins with a class of children who are teasing, being rude, talking in class, etc. As their behavior deteriorates throughout the day, they begin growing pig snouts, hooves, and tails, until they are all little pigs. The Pig Lady comes to the rescue and reminds them of their manners. As they begin to use manners, their pig parts disappear and they become polite young children. By the end, they are all complementing each other, reminding each other of the proper way to say things and do things, and saying please and thank you. The illustrations are fabulous inspiring fits of laughter from my children as the students tear apart the classroom and acquire one pig part at a time. The story is in verse which always attracts the attention of young listeners and the dedication, "to that sparkling class who inspired this tale" was a great topic of conversation afterwards - "Did this really happen?" "Are there really kids who don't have any manners?" "Kids can't turn into pigs!" A few days after reading this book my children were arguing over some precious toy they both desperately needed at the same time and I looked in the doorway and said, "I see a pig tail ... and an ear!" My children stopped arguing immediately and started looking at each other for their pig parts. They rolled in a fit of laughter and actually apologized to each other without being told to!!!! It was terrific! Later that night my husband forgot to say please and my son was quick to say, "Be careful Daddy, you're going to get a pig tail." Humor is such a great way to remind children to make good choices, rather than getting angry or frustrated. The kids catch each other and because of the fabulous imagery from the illustrations, they can't help but laugh at the thought. I'm so glad I did not judge this book by its cover.