Thursday, March 8, 2007

Missing May by Cynthia Rylant

What a sad story! As I read this book about a girl, who's suffered so much loss in her life already, who's beloved aunt and guardian dies, I was struck over and over with the injustice of life. How is it that a child could face loss after loss and still keep going? Having read Rylant's memoir, But I'll Be Back Again, I was not surprised to see the parallels to Rylant's own life. While her story was very different, her experience of loss and her expectations of life after that loss were very similar. I wonder how universal the belief that the "happily ever after" is not for you is among those who suffer trajic losses in childhood. Summer refers again and again to her inability to believe everything will be ok just as Rylant says she would never learn that "it would be all right for me to have a house that smelled like chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies." (p. 32) Rylant suggests that "Children who suffer great loss often grow up believing deep inside that life is suppoed to be hard for them." (p. 54) I felt like this was a theme in Missing May. Summer marvels at Cletus's lack of concern about his parent's age and ailments, as she fights her doubts and fears about Ob's health. She just can't believe that it will all be ok. The innocence of childhood is so fragile. Once a child has seen the truth of loss and injustice, there is no going back. You can't recreate that innocence. But there is always hope - as Cinderella reminds us: it's never too late for happily ever after.

4 comments:

Kathy Kryscio said...

I agree....The book was a sad story, and almost alarming in it's truth of death. From the beginning, I felt sorry for Summer as she dealt with being passed around like a "homework assignment" between relatives after her mother's death. Whether it be May, or one of our students, my heart goes out to children who battle tradegies and problems that seem as if they should only be saved for adult life. I definitely agree, those events of our childhood shape us as people. The Missing May book I read had an AfterWords section. In it, Rylant referenced a few life events that spoke of parallels between her life and Summer's. Thanks to your blog, I am definitely anxious to read her memoir!

Elizabeth Lipp said...

You are so right, what a sad story. Maybe that is why I had such a difficult time getting into this book. Still, the characters with their quirky little ways, had me at the beginning. I don't like saddness, but we do have to face it at sometimes in our lives. This book makes me look at my students who have dealt with a greater amount of loss in their young lives that I have in my "aged" one, and my heart goes out to them. Can we teach them that "happily ever after" can still be possible in some since, or is that all gone for them?

Amy Stewart said...

This was a sad story. However, I laughed a lot during the story. The character of Cletus really lightened things up for me. What you said about kids who suffer great loss in their lives at an early age makes a lot of sense. I always think of people who have suffered a lot in their lives as some how stronger than me. I always think "I could never survive that." But, maybe, it's like you said, they just expect the bad things to happen to them. They are used to tragedy. Boy how sad. Thanks for your insight.

Suzanne said...

I agree that our experiences as children shape our lives in a very profound way. This was a difficult read for me and I often found my mind wandering to other things. The characters were indeed engaging but I would have like the same level of resolution for Ob at the end of the book that we had for Summer.
I too look forward to reading the memoir.

Piggy Monday A Tale About Manners written and illustrated by Suzanne Bloom

Suzanne Bloom is fabulous. My preschoolers are big fans of her Is This the Bus For Us, Gus?. My family just got Piggy Monday A Tale About Manners and we love it! When I first looked at the cover, I thought it would scare my chidlren, 4 and 6. That they would be afraid of turning into pigs themselves. Quite the contrary. The book begins with a class of children who are teasing, being rude, talking in class, etc. As their behavior deteriorates throughout the day, they begin growing pig snouts, hooves, and tails, until they are all little pigs. The Pig Lady comes to the rescue and reminds them of their manners. As they begin to use manners, their pig parts disappear and they become polite young children. By the end, they are all complementing each other, reminding each other of the proper way to say things and do things, and saying please and thank you. The illustrations are fabulous inspiring fits of laughter from my children as the students tear apart the classroom and acquire one pig part at a time. The story is in verse which always attracts the attention of young listeners and the dedication, "to that sparkling class who inspired this tale" was a great topic of conversation afterwards - "Did this really happen?" "Are there really kids who don't have any manners?" "Kids can't turn into pigs!" A few days after reading this book my children were arguing over some precious toy they both desperately needed at the same time and I looked in the doorway and said, "I see a pig tail ... and an ear!" My children stopped arguing immediately and started looking at each other for their pig parts. They rolled in a fit of laughter and actually apologized to each other without being told to!!!! It was terrific! Later that night my husband forgot to say please and my son was quick to say, "Be careful Daddy, you're going to get a pig tail." Humor is such a great way to remind children to make good choices, rather than getting angry or frustrated. The kids catch each other and because of the fabulous imagery from the illustrations, they can't help but laugh at the thought. I'm so glad I did not judge this book by its cover.